Summer is calling for a new hair color. Whether you’re a dark-haired beauty or a natural brunette, we’ve got some ideas to spice up your hair this season. In this article, we’ll share the top 10 trending hair color ideas to try in summer. Plus, all the tips you need to keep your new hair color vibrant and healthy.
1. Does summer heat affect hair color?
The sun can have various effects on color-treated hair, and it’s important to understand and address these effects to maintain vibrant and long-lasting hair color. Here are some ways in which the sun can impact color-treated hair:
- Fading: Ultraviolet (UV) rays from the sun can penetrate the hair cuticle and break down the color molecules in the hair shaft. This process can lead to color fading over time, particularly in lighter or more delicate shades. Exposure to sunlight without protection can cause the hair color to become dull, lackluster, or even change shades.
- Oxidation: Sunlight exposure can trigger oxidation reactions, which can alter the chemical composition of hair color molecules. This oxidation process can result in color shifting or a brassy tone, especially in red, copper, or warm-toned hair colors.
- Dryness and damage: Prolonged sun exposure can dry out the hair, as UV rays can deplete moisture from the strands. This can make color-treated hair more prone to brittleness, breakage, and split ends. Additionally, the combination of sun exposure and other summer elements like chlorine or saltwater can further exacerbate the dryness and damage.
2. Tips to protect hair color in summer
To protect your hair color during the summer months and maintain its vibrancy, here are some helpful tips:
- Use UV protection: Invest in hair care products, such as leave-in conditioners, serums, or sprays, that contain UV filters. These products create a protective barrier on your hair, shielding it from the damaging effects of UV rays and minimizing color fading.
- Wear hats or scarves: Whenever you’re out in the sun, especially during peak hours, wear a wide-brimmed hat, cap, or scarf to provide physical protection to your hair and scalp, preventing direct sunlight from fading your color.
- Rinse before swimming: Before entering a pool or ocean, rinse your hair with fresh water. By saturating your hair beforehand, it absorbs less chlorine or saltwater, reducing the potential for color fading or damage.
- Protect from chlorine and saltwater: Consider wearing a swim cap to minimize direct contact between your hair and chlorinated water. If you prefer not to use a cap, wet your hair and apply a leave-in conditioner or a protective hair oil to create a barrier against the harsh effects of chlorine or saltwater.
- Limit heat styling: Excessive heat from styling tools like flat irons, curling irons, or blow dryers can cause color-treated hair to become more prone to damage and color fading. Minimize the use of these tools or opt for heatless styling techniques to protect your hair color.
- Moisturize and hydrate: Sun exposure can dry out your hair, making it more vulnerable to damage and color fading. Use moisturizing hair masks, deep conditioners, or natural oils to keep your hair hydrated and nourished throughout the summer.
- Minimize washing: Avoid over-washing your hair as it can strip away the natural oils and color molecules. Opt for dry shampoos or co-washing (conditioner-only washing) to refresh your hair between washes.
- Choose color-safe products: Use color-safe shampoos, conditioners, and styling products that are specifically formulated to protect and preserve hair color. These products are gentle on your hair, help maintain color vibrancy, and minimize color fading.
- Hats or scarves: Wear hats, caps, or scarves to provide physical protection to the hair and scalp, shielding them from direct sun exposure.
- Time of exposure: Limit prolonged exposure to direct sunlight during peak hours when the sun’s rays are strongest. Seek shade whenever possible.
- Protective styles: Opt for hairstyles that cover and protect the hair, such as braids, buns, or updos, which can also minimize sun exposure.
By following these precautions, you can help preserve the vibrancy and integrity of your color-treated hair, ensuring it stays beautiful and radiant throughout the summer and beyond.
3. 10 hair color ideas for summer
Looking ahead to the vibrant and stylish in summer , here are ten exciting hair color ideas to inspire your seasonal transformation:
- Sun-kissed balayage: Opt for a natural, sun-kissed look with a balayage technique that blends soft, golden highlights into your base color, creating a radiant and effortless summer vibe.
- Honey blonde: Warm up your hair color with a honey blonde shade. This rich and golden hue complements various skin tones and adds a touch of warmth and brightness to your overall look.
- Copper red: Stand out from the crowd with a stunning copper red hair color. This fiery shade adds warmth and depth, perfect for capturing the essence of a sizzling summer.
- Beachy blonde: Emulate the sun-kissed, beachy vibes with a sandy, beachy blonde hair color. This natural and textured shade gives your hair a fresh, effortless, and carefree look.
- Icy platinum: For a bold and edgy statement, go for an icy platinum blonde hair color. This strikingly cool shade creates a dramatic contrast against summer tans and can give you a trendy, futuristic look.
- Icy blue: Channel the cool and refreshing vibes of summer with an icy blue hair color. This unconventional shade adds a unique and ethereal touch to your overall appearance.
- Rose gold: Add a touch of glamor to your hair with a rose gold color. This blend of pink and gold tones creates a luxurious and trendy look, reminiscent of a summer sunset.
- Chocolate mauve: Combine rich chocolate brown with soft mauve undertones for a unique and sophisticated hair color. The blend of warm and cool tones creates a multidimensional look that is both stylish and versatile.
- Silver ash: Embrace the cool and futuristic vibes of summer with a silver ash hair color. This metallic and silvery shade is perfect for those who want a bold and modern look.
- Lavender gray: Embrace the muted yet sophisticated look of a lavender gray hair color. This cool-toned shade is both chic and edgy, perfect for those seeking a modern and stylish summer look.
Remember to consult with a professional hairstylist to determine the best hair color options based on your hair type, skin tone, and personal style. They can help you achieve your desired look while considering the latest trends and techniques for summer. In addition, for the convenience of changing your hair color according to your preferences depending on the seasons of the year, you can buy a color hair extension to dye a variety of outstanding hair colors in the season.